CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 26, 2009

Katatura State Hospital

Many of you know that I was able to start last week at Katatura State Hospital in Windhoek, under the guidance of Pediatrician and fellow AIM-er, Dr. Steve Brown. I spent Thursday and Friday there, as I will be doing each week from now on, and it was wonderful!! It felt so refreshing to be back in a (somewhat) familiar environment, and I really enjoyed getting to use some of my training to provide care for some pretty tiny patients! For those of you who are praying for relationships with the staff there, thank you! Sister Erica, who I worked alongside on Thursday in the PREM Unit (similar to a NICU) was a really neat woman, and I am looking forward to getting to know her. Additionally, I met a German nursing student who is here for four months, and she and I ‘stuck together’. Svennia is her name, and I am looking forward to continuing to develop a friendship with her as well!

Here are a few pictures:


This is Katatura State Hospital from the front. 20 years ago it was the 'black hospital' in Windhoek.


This sweet little Nama girl has an AV Septal Defect (heart). The cardiologist comes up once a month from South Africa to see the patients, and he was in last week.


'One-eyed Raoul' as I took to calling him :) Reminded me of a little pirate, and ever so cute!!


The sunset outside of KSH on Thursday evening... breathtaking!!!


That's all for now... thanks for the prayers!

Much Love

Mackenzie

1 comments:

Cathi Geisler said...

great to see pictures and wonderful to hear about how things are going. so excited for you. and that sunset is PHENOMENAL.