CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Words from Windhoek

Hello All! I hope this post finds you well and enjoying the beginnings of fall (its spring here!)! I’m sorry that I haven’t written something more substantial sooner… orientation and an overwhelming cultural transition have kept me from processing thoughts to an intelligible level ;)

Our week of orientation here in Windhoek has been nice. The format has been laid back, and has allowed us to spend time with our team, as well as with the 7 other people here orienting from the UK. We have gotten to hear personal stories and testimonies from Namibians, go through the process of HIV testing and counseling, spend an afternoon at an afterschool program.

The cultural differences here in Namibia are stark. The value Namibians put on “event” or relationships, is far greater than the value put on time. This means punctuality, productivity, and the things of such are put on the back burner. I think I’ll actually find it quite refreshing once I’m acclimated :)

Personally, I am doing okay. There are days when it is hard to know what to do with things I’ve seen or heard. Days when it would be easy to shut my mind off and try not to think about these things and situations I feel so unequipped and unprepared to face offering anything of worth. And then, the Lord reminds me of the hope I have in His glory, and by ministries of reconciliation through Christ, I can share that hope I have with people who have none.

Here are a few pics of things I've been up to - enjoy!


eating a dried worm.... i didn't even spit it out!



Aune and Jennifer, the girls I got to spend time with at the after school program


the children at their school before it let out

Much love to each of you and hope to write to you soon from Rehoboth!
Mackenzie

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there lovey.
Thanks for the update. A worm--I'm so proud. Love seeing you and hearing about your days.
lots of hugs and kisses, mom & dad

Anonymous said...

Hey look at you...immersing yourself into the culture by eating worms! It is so good to read your blogs...do good over there my friend. I love you!
Megan A.

Anonymous said...

Mac- maybe when you get back - you could try out for SURVIVOR! I can't believe you ate a worm - I'll have to show the boys - you'll be even cooler than you already are! Love to you - we are all thinking of you.
Katie, Michael & boys

Anonymous said...

man i wonder if you could look any whiter and now i know the answer, go white girl shaing Jesus in AFRICA!

dave

Anonymous said...

i totally agree with dave. you couldn't look any whiter. but you're making my pale skin proud!!! :) i love you friend. i'm so proud of you! glad to "see" whats going on, too. you're in my prayers, my dear friend.

love, carrie

Anonymous said...

Girlie

I can't believe you ate a worm. There is no way . . not even if it was surrounded by Tequila! I am so proud. It probably won't be the last odd thing you eat. I'm thinking about you constantly. Love you!

Joani