CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My Hope, Secure

“We who have fled for refuge have strong encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us. We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters into the inner place behind the curtain, where Jesus has gone as a forerunner on our behalf…”

Hebrews 6:18-20


I have spent the last weeks studying the book of Hebrews, and have found it both challenging and encouraging. Something I read on Monday has stuck in my mind, and had me asking myself many questions such as: ‘What is my hope in?’, ‘What do I hold fast to?’, ‘What is my soul anchored on?’, and ‘What holds the anchor in place?’ As I’ve continued to spend time praying through these questions, the Lord used His Word to answer some of them…


Our souls were made to be anchored in heaven. We are not to drift freely by winds and waters of culture, popular belief, or whims. He wants us to constantly know our position, and thus has given our soul a sure and steadfast anchor.

When Jesus entered the ‘inner place behind the curtain’ to purchase the forgiveness of sins once for all through His death and resurrection, He secured by His blood and righteousness the everlasting joy that is promised to all God’s people.

So, the anchor of our soul is the absolutely confident hope of everlasting joy with God. It is held firmly with the guarantee of God’s Word (vs. 17).

So I know the end of the rope attached to the anchor is fastened and secure, but where does that leave the other end of the rope? The end attached to my soul… is it equally secure? It is too held fast by the unchanging hand of God, or am I merely gripping with white-knuckles a rope that is liable to be ripped from my hands with the next crashing wave?


The answer I have seen to these questions in the book of Hebrews is both resounding and relieving! The anchor IS SECURE at both ends – and while I am strongly encouraged to hold fast to the anchor, I am evermore aware that my ability and capacity to do so has been made supplied by the blood of my Savior. The death and resurrection of Jesus opened the door of the New Covenant, which claims our salvation is secure at BOTH ends… verse 21 of chapter 13 tells us so. It says that the Eternal (or ‘new’) Covenant will equip us with everything good to do His will, as Jesus Christ works through us according to what pleases Him. So when God ‘strongly encourages’ (or commands!) us to do something, He couples the instruction with the empowerment to do it. We are able to firmly fix ourselves to the hope of everlasting joy with God by the power He gives us to do so.


My holding fast to hope is done by the working of God in me through Jesus Christ. Praise God for the enablement through Jesus to do what He has commanded!

0 comments: