CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Settling In

Mora…Good morning!

As I sit here, I feel like I’m at a loss for where to begin… everything and nothing comes to mind all at the same time. There are so many feelings and emotions behind stories that seem so unable to be articulated that I feel like attempting it would cheapen the reality. I don’t really know what is considered ‘blog-worthy’, so bare with me as I’ll hopefully get better as time goes on :)

This week looked quite similar to last in terms of how my days were filled. I got to spend time with a few homebound patients, work at the soup kitchen and spend a few days at Lebensschule (LS).

On Thursday I brought a little craft to do with the kids there, and here is a picture of me, Harold, Eldine, and Endonsia working on it:



Like I mentioned last week, doing projects with these kids is so amazing – there is no ‘right way’ to do art, and however it turns out, it’s their creation. I wish I could convey the looks and smiles that overcome the faces of these kids when they are encouraged and affirmed… it really is priceless!

Here are Clinton (L) and Harold with their finished products:




I love those faces!

There is one little girl at LS, in particular, that has been pulling on my heartstrings since I first saw her. Her name is Audrey and she is 4 ½ years old. She had meningitis as an infant, along with TB, and as a result, is still wearing size 3-6 months clothing. She is malnourished, has seizures, a protruding VP shunt, and a myriad of other issues, but her eyes are captivating and I can’t help but hold her close to me whenever possible. Here is a picture of her and I sitting outside in the shade… from what I can tell, she can see (they tell me she’s blind, but she tracks quite well), so I like to show her the world ;)



Personally, I’m doing well, and ready to jump in head first at the hospital on Monday (tune in next week to see if I’m still treading water!). Kristen and I are also hoping to partner with the Rowell family to meet and develop relationships with the high school students who live in the hostel at the school. They have free time from about 4:30-7 every evening, and typically hang out around the courtyard and field behind the school, with no where to go and very little options of things to do. As we spend time there, we are praying that relationships will be quickly established with great depth and opportunities to share the gospel, so please join us in prayer about that!

The team here in Rehoboth is incredible and I have been so blessed by our Sunday afternoon meetings. I can’t remember what I’ve already shared, so I’ll bring you up to speed- here is Rehoboth we currently have:

  • the Rowell family, hailing from Coventry, England, including Paul who is teaching at the HS, Ruth, who often works at Lebensschule, and their two wonderful daughters Jaydon (11) and Courtney (9)
  • Catherine, from England as well, is teaching at a farm school outside of Rehoboth. She has a few years teaching experience under her belt, is a wonderful source of creative ideas, and is a blast to be around!
  • Heidi, from Mannitoba, Canada, who is teaching at a farm school about an hour from Rehoboth (unfortunately, none of our 3 teachers are at the same school!). She has been here a year and will be here for about a year more!
  • Steph, also from Canada, has been working at Lebensschule since last October, and has been a wonderful bridge onto that scene. Sadly, she will be heading home shortly.
  • Then there’s my smaller team, which I’m sure you’re acquainted with by now ;)

Here is a pic of the group at our meeting last Sunday at the Rowell’s flat at the hostel:


L to R: Cathi, Paul and Ruth Rowell, Steph, Me, Kristen, Catherine, Heidi (on floor), Jaydon and Courtney. This was after a meeting at the Rowell’s flat at the hostel.

Well, for ‘not having much to say’, I’ve certainly written a lot ;) Hope you enjoy the weekend!

Much Love,

Mackenzie

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mackenzie:
Your blogs are fascinating. You are so excited about what you are doing. That makes me feel the same way. You are making these children so happy. Please let us know if there is anything we can send that will help you, paper, crayons, stickers,scissors,etc. The pictures are wonderful, so keep on including them. The Pizza Group is here to help you.
Love, Nancy

Anonymous said...

Hi dear!! Just wanted to say hey and that I love love love reading about what you are up to!! I bet you are so excited to get started at the hospital this week! GOod luck with everything, I am thinking about you lots and am so stoked for all your adventures. Love you lots and miss you!!!
Peace & Love,
Claire

Anonymous said...

woo hoo for getting into the hospital next week. Can't wait for that post :) love ya babe. --lo

Anonymous said...

Mackenz
Checking in once again. Loved seeing your smiling face. Also really loved the pictures of the fish. I would frame those. Good luck next week at the hospital. I'm always thinking of you.
Loving-
SMI

michael said...

I gotta tell you, it is wonderful to hear what is going on in Rehoboth. I had tears in my eyes in reading about Audrey (?) the 41/2 year old with multiple challenges. Thank you for loving, what is considered by many, the least of these. May God continue to captivate your heart as you share His love. Michael

Anonymous said...

YAY Hospital time! We'll talk again soon, my friend. Love, NE/UNMC/Short Carrie

Unknown said...

loving your blog...thanks for sharing...we keep praying for you and the work you are doing for Jesus...sounds like YOUNG LIFE contact work YOUNG with the school kids:)...miss you on Sudnay nights...xxoxoxcarla